Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Moments of Transition


Ever since my school was desegrated in Texas when I was in 7th grade I have wanted there to be a coming together of all humanity. I sat and ate lunch with the kids that they bused from South Dallas to our school. I was the only white child to do that. Twenty years later at my High School reunion, those same kids were still not allowed to sit with the other white "Elite". I was shocked. They sat at my table again. We all wondered what it would take for there to be a shift. And that shift is finally happening. Yea! It has taken 30 years of me being consciously aware of the issue to see this moment. I am also so proud to be an American!

No matter what the nay sayers have said, this moment has sent an incredible message to the world. We are a people that will change the face of prejudice. We don't just talk about opportunity and freedom. We work actively to make it happen. It may take us a long time but we are a people and country of opportunity and freedom. The world cannot count us out. The world cannot make up lies about Americans in the face of this truth. They have to take a good hard look at the propaganda of their cultures and religions and come face to face with their own inner deceptions and illusions.

There is no other country in the world that would have been able to make this tremendous choice and voice for change. It shatters the old ceiling of rigidity and cynicism.

The road will be long and hard. It has always been a long and hard road. But the United States of America is the country that attempts to be the path maker. We are the conscience of the world. We are choosing to reclaim and step back into the pioneering position of our forefathers. We are a country of innovators. We are a country of risk takers. We are not passive. We are the voice of the future.

This is a great moment in American history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home